Top three things you love about your home
1. I stripped the flat back to its shell when I bought it and re-designed from scratch which means I chose literally everything you see — from the hardwood flooring to the design of the steps out to the garden to the Corian worktop in the kitchen — a lot of love and hard work went into making the place feel modern, comfortable and clean, so the first thing I love about it is just the whole thing.
2. It's an unglamorous answer but the amount of storage space. I converted the coal cellar into a utility and storage area and means I can keep the place feeling uncluttered and spacious.
3. Sitting in my garden drinking a morning coffee. To walk outside directly from the bedroom in the summer feels almost decadent.
Three things we love about the area
1. How well positioned it is in London — you can get everywhere from here very easily
2. The fruit and veg place by Newington Green. It's a local institution.
3. A 5-10 min cycle to London Fields, Broadway Market and the canal is a lovely way to spend a slow Sunday
Why are you selling?
I'm going through a change of career and my work and training for that means I need to move away.
What's the area like?
Amazing. So well connected with Highbury & Islington station up the road and Canonbury Overground literally round the corner. I mostly cycle and it's so quick to get into town or the City. Loads of great little cafes and restaurants nearby too. I can dip into Stoke Newington, Dalston, Shoreditch, Angel and Broadway Market all just as easily
What is parking like?
Good. Resident permit parking directly outside and lots of pay-by-phone
Is there bike storage?
Yes, I keep mine in the converted coal cellar or sometimes locked up on the front patio
How busy is the road, is it quiet at night?
It's a fairly main road which is no bad thing, because there's a sense of safety to that. And the bedroom's in the back, backing onto St Paul's Shrubbery, which is a conservation area, so it's so quiet you could be out in the countryside
I'm currently working from home, how does that work in this property?
I've always worked from home, even before the pandemic, so it was always important for me to have the right set-up. I designed the place so that the room next to the bedroom is a home-office / dresser
What's the internet like?
Super fast fibre
What's the boiler like?
It's a top end combo boiler bought new when I renovated the flat and serviced every year
Are we able to do any work/extensions?
I completely gutted and renovated the whole place, so yes. You need to apply for the right permits and Islington can guide you through the process if you need. It's all do-able.
Tenure: 138 Year Lease, expiring 09/2160
Service Charge: £300 per annum
Ground Rent: NA
Council Tax: Islington Band D - £1,640.14 per annum 21/22
EPC: Rated C