Top 3 things you love about your home
1. The overall space available in the property. We feel that what you can pay for a 2 bed flat round the corner you can get a 4 bedroom house with a front and back garden - it's a no brainer really!
2. Is a very secure house and I happily walk back alone late at night / stay in the house on my own overnight which can't always be said for other London places I have lived.
3. Love the garden - a saviour in lockdown - is a sun trap and enough space to sunbathe and have a few people over for a BBQ. Overall the property is great for entertaining - indoors and outdoors.
Three things we love about the area.
1. The community atmosphere on the estate is lovely and we actually know and trust our neighbours with a key. Given the estate is on the edge of zone one it is surprisingly quiet and tranquil. When we wake up and look out of the bedroom window we see a lot of green which is unusual in such a central location and given we are on a council estate.
2. So many places nearby to exercise outdoors or have a picnic - not just Highbury fields which is a short stroll away, but also Paradise Park (and the lovely free city farm there with a great vegetarian café) and Arundle Square. There are lots of play areas within a short walking distance - one almost directly outside the front door and for swings and more variety there is Thornhill Square, Arundle Square, and Paradise Park. Can get to Soho in 20 minutes and Kings Cross development in 10. All the major stations are easy to get to, between Caledonian Rd tube (5 mins walk) and H&I (8 mins walk). Great choice with the underground lines (Piccadilly and Victoria) as well as the overland trains which can take you all over London.
3. Great local coffee shops and pubs nearby - Southpaw coffee shop is the smallest coffee shop in London and our closest.
1. Why are you selling? We purchased in 2015 for £725k but now need to move closer to family. This house will be missed. We have had a wonderful time here.
2. What's the area like? The immediate area is quiet but within moments you can be in the bustling heart of Islington. Walking distance to Upper Street - great for getting to the many bars and restaurants, screen on the green, and the Almeida. Also - local find - the pleasance comedy theatre near Caledonian Road where you can get headlining acts doing their 'work in progress' for just £5! Also nearby - Market Road tennis courts and gym which are local authority owned but do great classes. on a Sunday we head to Hampstead Heath for a coffee and a walk.
3. What is parking like? Can park on the estate (if you buy a pass) or on the street - also need to buy a pass. As a rough estimate my car (an Iago costs about £125 per annum for the street parking - graded though depending on the omissions your car produces).
4. Is there bike storage? Yes for 3 adult bikes at the front of the house, plus room to store all the bike tools and equipment you could need next to it.
5. How busy is the road, is it quiet at night? the estate is pedestrianised and so there is no traffic noise
6. I'm currently working from home, how does that work in this property? It is fantastic. Have, at times, had 3 adults all working here full time during the pandemic (in separate rooms) and all successfully managed it. We are able to pop out and have a choice of lots of nearby coffee shops and cafes to get lunch and within moments can be at Paradise Park for a quick stroll around and fresh air at lunch. Dry cleaners nearby too. Always very quiet so can have windows open and be on calls. In the summer a lot of work is done from the garden.
7. What's the internet like? super band broadband. I have done multi-day court hearings from home.
8. What's the boiler like? Good - not really sure what to say about this. The house is very warm as it is well insulated and so the heating bills are modest. Incredibly cosy house during the winter.
9. Are we able to do any work/extensions? I did the extension in 2012. Could turn the dressing room into a 5th bedroom if you boxed off the door to the bathroom.
Service Charge: £600 per annum
Ground Rent: None
Council Tax: Islington Band E - £2,004.62 per annum 21/22
EPC: Rated C