Top 3 things you love about your home:
1. Double height open plan reception space, makes the home unique and has a wow factor. Works really well for entertaining or when it's just the two of us at home
2. The underfloor heating - no radiators taking up space, the house is always warm and walking on warm floors in winter is so cosy.
3. Neither of the above existed when I bought the place but I fell in love with the charm of Sheringham Road/Hides St - you've got a mix of period homes and a lovely sense of community. Everyone takes care of their homes. Our house has an interesting history as it was a factory for furniture and pianos and then later a bakery.
Things we love about the area.
1. Going for walks in Barnsbury, stopping at great pubs like the Duchess of Kent, The Albion, The Drapers Arms and The Hemingford Arms.
Sitting in Paradise Park or Highbury Fields. Or Caledonian Park, Barnsbury Park… so many to choose from.
2. So many restaurants to choose from, Upper St has been famous for years for its selection (Ottolenghi is our favourite along with Belle Époque anytime you need a cake for a party) but Holloway Road has exploded with great options more recently (we love Zia Lucia for pizza, La Peche Mignon for pastries and lunch when working from home and Lamezia for Italian foods and fresh pasta). More recently we've been taking advantage of Coal Drops yard and the Kings Cross regeneration which offers even more new restaurants to try.
3. Also worth mentioning schools: The Gower nursery is popular for local parents and Highgate School is also a ten min drive without traffic.
4. Connections - I have commuted to Birmingham and Leeds while living here. By car and train both easy as you can get straight on the A1 or to Euston and Kings Cross. Same would be true of train connections to most of the UK and of course Europe from St Pancras (we're off to Paris by Eurostar in December).
5. Cars: for parking we can always get a space outside the house and within 10 metres we have a 50kw charger for electric vehicles as well as more 7kw chargers on Lough Rd.
Why are you selling? After over ten years owning this house we are looking for a four bedroom property.
What's the area like? We love it. Our first choice is to stay in the area if we can find a property that meets our criteria. The neighbours are awesome, the amenities and connections second to none.
What is parking like? As above, has been perfect for us with our fully electric car. You just apply for a permit and usually we park right outside our house.
How busy is the road, is it quiet at night? It's a not a main road. It gets busy at school pick up and drop off for about 30 mins but not so much that it would delay you. It's also a cycle route so you get cyclists coming past. At night time it is very quiet.
I'm currently working from home, how does that work in this property? My current set up is on the ground floor, however I have also set up in the basement where we get a fairly good amount of natural light. The second bedroom would also work as a study. It's nice to have options and when there are two people working from home it's great to have some separation for all those zoom calls!
What's the internet like? Really good, we've given it a proper test in lockdown with 2 of us on zoom calls for work, and to family, as well as consuming Netflix. We have BT broadband but cables have just been laid for full fibre broadband if you're a gamer or you want the best possible speeds.
What's the boiler like? Two year old combi, still in warranty. It is connected to the underfloor heating which is separated into zones with thermostats and also heats the water for shower and taps. It's very efficient and cheap to run being so new.
Are we able to do any work/extensions? Yes. STPP you could build a terrace like the adjoining property and all the neighbouring properties. We pursued a full floor extension which we did not get by the time we wanted to move but if we had more time we would have submitted a revised application which met the feedback. The fallback for us would have been a terrace because we know there is a precedent with the adjoining property. Also as we already have the underfloor heating you could replace the boiler in the future with an air source heat pump on the roof (again STPP). Finally the basement under the street provides another interesting space. We had plans drawn up for a laundry room and a shower room under Hides St. If you put this in you could eliminate the WC and washing machine unit in the basement and create an even bigger reception space. The basement in the main part of the house was only lined about 6 years ago so it is still under warranty.