Comments from the owner:
Top 3 things you love about your home
1. The south-facing garden is an incredible sun-trap that transports you to a warm, tranquil place far away from the hustle-bustle of London. Feeling the sun on your face while watching goldfinches and blue tits as you drink a coffee is an incredible way to start a weekend. A small shed is a perfect place to store the charcoal you will want to have on hand for impromptu bbqing with family and friends. The double doors that lead outside welcome sunlight throughout the flat, making it feel bright, airy and warm. In the summer, a curtain of wisteria makes the space feel even more magical.
2. The bathroom was designed with the help of an Islington firm to create a sanctuary with the feel of a sauna. The use of bespoke tile, wood and mirrors creates a room that feels both rustic and modern at the same time. Reading lights over the bath allow you to relax with a book and forget about the stresses of the day. The heated floor keeps the room cosy, even in the winter, and a heated mirror over the sink means you can easily have a shave after a shower. A pocket door hides a washing machine, tumble dryer and loads of storage shelves. A water softener protects your skin and hair as well as your appliances from London's hard water. There is also a massive amount of storage under the sink and countertop so you can keep everything tucked away.
3. High ceilings and original features provide a unique, spacious and welcoming feel to the property. White-oiled oak floors from Ecora bring a fresh, modern look to the flat. With spacious gardens to the back and a quiet road to the front, it is a peaceful place to live. When sitting in the lounge, you hear birds instead of traffic. You will feel miles away from London even though you're a three-minute walk from the Canonbury overground and a ten-minute stroll from the Highbury & Islington tube stop.
Three things we love about the area.
1. There are many green spaces just a short walk away. From Highbury Fields to Newington Green to Clissold Park, it's so easy to have a weekend amble.
2. Running errands feels so much more managable when the clerk at the Post Office asks about your day, the owner of the corner shop waves every morning and the owner of Vins knows exactly what wines you will love. It's easy to pick up provisions for a picnic in the park near Newington Green (cheese from Jumi, charcuterie from Yield N16 and pastries from Jolene or Belle Epoque) or Highbury Barn (cheese from La Fromagerie, Italian snacks from Da Mario and fruit from Mrs Lovell's Greengrocers).
3. The Canonbury overground stop offers two lines, making it easy to get to places like Hampstead Heath, Stratford and Canada Water, while the Victoria Lina and trains from Highbury & Islington provide even more opportunities. The area offers supurb public transport connections while still feeling quiet and calm.
1. Why are you selling? After 11 years in London, I have decided to move to be closer to my parents and sisters. It's a tough decision because it's hard to say goodbye to the flat.
2. What's the area like? There's a true community feel to the area. I know many of my neighbours quite well and we even share keys to each other's homes so that we can look after pets and plants when someone is on holiday. During the first lockdown, I discovered one of my upstairs neighbours is a chef when his wife let me know via a WhatsApp text that he had made too much Thai curry. Minutes later, she had left a pot of incredible food at my doorstep.
3. What is parking like? Parking is very easy. I've never struggled to find a space.
4. How busy is the road, is it quiet at night? The road is generally quiet, especially at night.
I'm currently working from home, how does that work in this property? The second bedroom is big enough to serve as an office/gym combination. It has been so nice to literally shut the door on work at the end of the day.
5. What's the internet like? I have Virgin Media and it has been okay.
6. What's the boiler like? I've never had any issues with my Worcester boiler and have it serviced regularly serviced by Joanna, the local plumber who seems to look after most of the properties on Grosvenor Ave. She is incredible!
7. Are we able to do any work/extensions? I have never looked into this. The Islington Council portal should be able to provide more information about this.