Top 3 things we love about this flat...
1. The layout has been key to the success of the flat. We love the free-flow living space out into the garden, great for entertaining friends and wonderfully child friendly. The bi-fold doors mean that the garden really is an extension of our living space for meals, drinks and playtime for the kids. Even if it's raining, it's lovely sitting by the open doors and enjoying the view!
2. The private and sunny north facing garden has been a huge surprise for us. There is no shortage of sunshine, but enough shade to ensure nothing gets burned, including young children! Another advantage is that the evergreen privet tree at the bottom of the garden provides privacy from the house behind, without blocking any sunlight from hitting the garden as would be the case if it faced south. The garden has proved to be indestructible, however rough the winter, the grass and plants quickly recover and it looks beautiful throughout spring and summer. There are also strawberries in the right hand flower bed (delicious), rhubarb in the veg box and well established lavender and rosemary bushes.
3. The location couldn't have been better for us. As Umfreville Road is the southernmost "rung" of the ladder, it is very close to the north end of Finsbury Park (which is the prettiest) and we're at the quieter end of the road, away from Green Lanes. Being at the top end also means we're very close to Harringey station, which is a fantastic line but also the parade of shops on Quernmore Road and of course, Crouch End where we walk regularly for the Nursery run. We are still very close to the coffee shops and restaurants on Green Lanes, as well as the Haringey Green Lanes overland station if you want to head over to Hampstead Heath or East London. Buses from Green Lanes seem to go everywhere! It's a 25 minute walk into Crouch End, or down to Clissold Park.
Three things we love about the area...
1. There is a fantastic community on the street, we know lots of people on the road and use a very active Whatsapp group.
2. Green Lanes offers excellent restaurants (Turkish, Sri Lanken, Japanese, Burgers etc) coffee shops (Music and Bean, Blend) wholefood shops (Mum's, Harringey Stores and bars (Bru Ha Ha, Jam and a Jar, the Salisbury etc.)
3. Finsbury Park, is great and has everything you'd want in terms of sports and play parks.
Why are you selling?
We are a growing family with two small children and both of us work from home, so are looking to stay in Haringey but move to a house with more bedrooms. We can honestly say that we have been extremely happy here and will be very sad to leave.
What's the area like?
There's such a lovely community feel, with familiar and friendly faces at But First Coffee just over the railway bridge, Music and Bean cafe on the high street and of course The Salisbury pub just up the road. For those with children, it is a perfect spot. At the bottom of the road is a very tranquil nature reserve, The Railway Fields, perfect for kids to run around and often running children's activities in the holidays. There are music groups for babies and children a short walk away, at the cafe in Finsbury Park, Music and Bean, and Snug Arts cafe on the high street. There's also a very lovely cafe and playground at Stationer's Park, on the way to Crouch End.
What is parking like?
Parking is very easy, our car is right outside most of the time, worst case one car along or directly opposite. We buy visitors permits from the council and keep them in the house. They are currently collecting dust...
How busy is the road, is it quiet at night?
The road is generally pretty quiet and is definitely quiet at night. We often sleep with the windows open so enjoy the fact that it's so calm.
I'm currently working from home, how does that work in this flat?
I also work from home and love it. I have set up a few work stations and like to move around them to break things up. Working in the bay in the front bedroom is lovely, bright and cool. I also enjoy working standing up with the door open in the second bedroom, sitting at the kitchen table or at the table on the patio.
What's the internet like?
We have Virgin Media's 350mb Fibre Optic connection, which is great.
What's the boiler like?
It's a Worcester combi boiler, which works very well. Water pressure is generally very good and hot water is always readily available.
Are we able to do a side return?
We can't see why it wouldn't be but it isn't something that we have ever looked into. Any grand plans we may have had soon got trumped by the arrival of our first child. I can say that having the side passage is super helpful though, as well as the door into the second bedroom. The best thing to do is look on the Haringey planning portal to see what other people have done in the area. Ref: ISL